Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mac and Cheese!  A kids favorite meal, only this one is more healthy as well as baked!  I don't know any little kid that does not love mac and cheese, so why not make it so the whole family will enjoy?  It has a great flavor from the different combinations of cheese.  I also love the cheese on top that gets crunchy and gives it that great mix in texture.  I haven't made this for my family since I am up in college but I plan to when I go home again.  I made it for my cousins here and they loved it!  Especially my cousin who is 16.  I will have to double it next time so he can eat it for left overs!

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups uncooked Penne noodles
1 carton 2% low-fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar-cheese, divided
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cooking spray

3 tablespoons panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 375
2.  Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.  Drain; place in a large bowl.
3.  While pasta cooks, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process until smooth.  Combine the cottage cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.  Add cheese mixture to pasta; stir well.  Spoon mixture into an 11x7- inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4.  Combine the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar, panko, and parsley, if desired, in a small bowl.  Sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture.  Bake at 375 for 10 min
5.  Preheat broiler (do not remove dish from over)
6.  Broil 1 minute or until top browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment